Friday, July 01, 2005

English Muffin Strata with Ham and Cheese

English Muffin Strata with Ham and Cheese(Adapted from CL)

6 whole grain English muffins
3 ounces chopped Canadian bacon
2 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
2 1/2 cups plain soy milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 taspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground ground red pepper
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites

Split the muffins and then cut each half into 6 wedges. Place half of the wedges in the bottom of an 8" square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Scatter Canadian Bacon over top. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Place remaining muffin wedges over cheese. Top with remaining cheese.

In a medium bowl, whisk together soy milk and the remaining ingredients. Pour milk mixture over muffin mixture. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 325

Uncover and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes to set before serving.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Joe
    I was looking to make this and am wondering how many servings I can expect. Thanks!
    kersten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kersten -

    I would say 4-6 servings depending on how large you cut the pieces or what you would be serving with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joe, I just did a strata with Gruyere Cheese and Spicy Italian Sausage. I posted it on my blog. Come take a look if you have a chance and let me know what you think. Love the blog! I really like the english muffin idea. Will have to try that next time.

    http://cookingquest.wordpress.com

    Thanks,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make this but have a question about what type of English muffin you used. Were they the skinny super-market-brand type, or the fat Wolfermann's type?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OC Sitcom Mom - I used Thomas' English Muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reply! I think the Thomases are skinny. I will have to examine them at the store. ;)

    ReplyDelete